There’s no denying the impact that waste has on the environment, especially when 95% of packaging in the beauty industry is simply thrown away. So far we have saved over 4 million single use plastic bottles from going to landfill with our circular packaging programme in partnership with ReRe!
How We’re Minimising Packaging Waste
Since the very start of Beauty Kitchen, we’ve always created our products and packaging with cradle to cradle principles in mind. Put simply, this means we create our processes in a circular way where everything can either be reused or recycled and most importantly, not wasted or taken to landfill.
Current Packaging That We Use:
Every aspect of our products, including formulation and packaging, are tested against human health so they are 100% safe to use.
- Aluminium Bottles - 75% of aluminium that has been produced over the years is still in use today. It’s widely recycled but also a great material for reusing as part of our ReRe packaging programme.
- Bottle Pumps - Unlike most pumps, ours are fully recyclable. They can be broken down to be recycled but we created our "pump for life" to be reused time and time again.
- Rock Paper Labels - Our water-resistant labels are made from 80% limestone, as a natural waste product, with no bleach used to treat them.
- Label Ink - We only use vegetable derived inks to print our product information on our labels and cartons.
- Konjac sponge - This entire product is compostable. The sponge, the string handle and even the packaging, just pop it in your food waste or compost bin.
- Glass Bottles/Jars - These are all made using recycled glass which are suitable for home recycling, however we intend to reuse these as part of our ReRe packaging programme when you send them back to us.
- Pipettes - Our pipettes consist of three parts; the glass tube, a 100% recycled plastic collar and a rubber bulb. All three parts can easily be broken down and recycled or made into something new.
- Jar Lids - our lids are made from 100% recycled plastic and are widely recycled with home recycling.
- FSC Certified - Our paper packaging for our solid products and Vitamin Kitchen range are fully certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, meaning we comply with the highest social and environmental standards on the market for our paper packaging.
Canopy Pack4Good Campaign
We are to be partnering with Canopy and supporting their Pack4Good campaign. Canopy is a not-for-profit forest conservation organisation that works with leading brands around the globe across a range of industries. Their Pack4Good initiative focuses on eliminating the use of Ancient and Endangered forest fibres in paper and paper packaging, whilst instead making use of lower impact materials such as pulp.
What we are Committing:
To help reduce pressure on forests and freshwater systems, as well as to reduce the carbon footprint of the paper and packaging we use, we will continue to lead the market by:
- The use of innovative design, recycled fibre and by implementing waste zero processes throughout all areas of our business
- Choosing paper packaging with high-recycled content, specifically reusing waste content
- Encouraging our suppliers to continuously improve and expand the availability of recycled content
- Maximising the overall recycled fibre content of our packaging
- Sourcing packaging from alternative sustainable fibres when possible
- Supporting research and development of commercial scale production of pulp, paper and packaging
You can read our full Canopy Pack4Good policy here.