Every year, we look forward to the CEW Beauty Awards - THE biggest awards in the beauty industry (think the Oscars of the beauty industry) - and this has been the most exciting to date. That’s because we’ve scooped up the Responsible Beauty Award for our best-selling, collagen boosting Seahorse Plankton+ range!
Now in its 16th year, the CEW awards recognise outstanding product innovation and creativity within the beauty and personal care industry. Over 1,000 CEW members, consisting of beauty professionals and experts, vote for their ‘best in class’ tried and tested products...we are incredibly delighted to be recognised as their Responsible Beauty Winner as a beauty business that has significantly moved towards the goal of improved sustainability.
“This is wonderful news! Our motto: ‘Effective, Natural, Sustainable’ seeps into every aspect of Beauty Kitchen and the products we create - it’s a rule of thumb that we never stray from. For me, our products are perfect examples of where nature and science come together to create truly effective products that just so happen to be sustainable.” - Jo Chidley, Founder of Beauty Kitchen.
What is Seahorse Plankton+?
This range is packed full of our super advanced blend of scientifically proven microalgae that:
- Helps boost collagen levels in 24 hours
- Helps reduce the appearance of fine, dry lines and wrinkles
- Shields skin from daily pollution
- Helps reduce the appearance of dark spots
- Leaves skin looking and feeling more youthful and radiant
Why is it "Responsible Beauty"?
We exist to create the most effective, natural, and sustainable beauty products on the planet, designing products with purpose. Our three sustainability pillars ensure that we push the boundaries and create change that the whole beauty industry can benefit from.
Our Seahorse Plankton+ skincare is a leading example of how beauty can be a force for good, and here’s why:
- Regenerative Ingredients - our key ingredients in the Seahorse Plankton+ range are a potent blend of micro-algae and seaweed; scientifically proven to boost collagen levels, even skin tone & protect skin from daily pollution
- Certified Sustainably Sourced - the seaweed we use is hand-harvested by royal decree & rather than source the micro-algae from the sea, we grow it in baths to conserve the oceans’ resources - it’s also carbon positive, generating electricity which we give back to the grid
- Certified Cruelty Free, Microplastic Free & Vegan - we are proud to be Leaping Bunny Approved by Cruelty Free International & the entire Seahorse Plankton+ range is also certified by The Vegan Society. Our entire product portfolio is registered as microplastic free by the Plastic Soup Foundation too!
- Circular Packaging - over 95% of beauty packaging is thrown out after just one use, and just 9% of plastic gets recycled globally…beauty packaging has a huge environmental footprint so we’ve revolutionised ours to help reduce carbon footprints & plastic consumption. Made from glass & aluminum bottles/jars are a circular & durable meaning we can keep reusing them - and if they happened to become damaged for some reason…these materials are widely & easily recycled!
- Return•Refill•Repeat Packaging - we re-launched the Seahorse Plankton+ range in 2019, moving from pre-recycled plastic packaging to reusable packaging part of our Return•Refill•Repeat programme where we was and reuse returned packaging (either via free post or to 800+ Holland & Barrett stores across the UK
- Re-purposing Waste Materials - the sustainability of our packaging doesn’t stop at the bottle or jar either – it goes right down to our labels, FSC certified product boxes & repurposed cardboard in our deliveries, so that we are not contributing to deforestation. Our labels are made from “rock paper” using waste limestone, and we’ve signed the Canopy Pack4Good policy, so all our cartons and outer packaging are made using FSC certified sources
- Social Impact - We are now the highest scoring B Corp certified business in the UK beauty industry meaning we are committed to using our business as a force for good. We all want beauty products that work for us, but it’s even better when they work for the planet too.
- Beauty that Gives Back - with B Corp principles at heart, we give 2% of our sales (not profits) to charitable organisations such as The Seahorse Trust & Plastic Soup Foundation
- Driving change - the beauty industry plays a big part in plastic pollution & marine debris, which is why we feel responsible that change has to start with beauty brands which is why we support Plastic Soup Foundation with their mission to clean up oceans & campaign for microplastics to be banned. Collaboration is the most effective way to may to create change!